What’s new in Veritas NetBackup?
December 8, 2020
Does your organisation currently use Veritas NetBackup or are you considering implementing this particular backup and recovery suite within your company?
As is the case with all pioneering software systems, NetBackup is consistently being updated by Veritas to make sure it remains one step ahead of the curve and continues to meet users’ needs. And, as a Veritas partner for more than 20 years, we’re constantly up to speed on the latest product developments.
In this post, we talk you through the most recent NetBackup advancements. But first, here’s a quick overview of NetBackup for organisations, who are potentially thinking about investing in the platform.
About the NetBackup platform
Long recognised as the market share leader in enterprise backup and recovery software, Veritas NetBackup™ eliminates the cost and complexity of point products while keeping your data secure, compliant and available—regardless of where it lives.
This industry-leading platform:
- Provides any size organisation with enterprise-class scale, performance and extensive workload integrations, with unified data protection
- Protects the largest and most complex heterogeneous environments—cloud, virtual and physical applications across the enterprise—anywhere data resides
- Supports almost every enterprise workload—65+ applications, 100+ operating systems, 2,500+ storage devices, 30+ different array snapshot support, and single-click cloud integrated storage, all managed from a single console
What’s the latest with NetBackup?
NetBackup 8.3 is the latest version of the platform to have been released by Veritas, who describe it as a:
‘Feature-rich release, providing unified data protection from edge to core to cloud, to optimise business resiliency, recover at scale, protect any workload and reduce risk.’
The release of NetBackup 8.3, which is reportedly the most significant upgrade to have been made to the product in the last five or six years, follows on from NetBackup 8.2, which was issued in June last year.
The latest set of changes are predominantly centred around changing workloads, enhanced cloud capabilities, simplicity and business resilience. More specifically, they include:
NetBackup 8.3 key updates – at a glance
- Strengthen ransomware resiliency – outsmart and prevent ransomware with hardened security, vendor-agnostic immutability for storage, utilising NetBackup OpenStorage Technology (OST) and orchestrated rehearsals.
- Integrate with CloudPoint and Veritas Resiliency Platform (VRP) – control cloud data protection and disaster recovery directly from NetBackup, proactively ensuring resiliency for applications across heterogeneous environments.
- Cloud-to-anywhere – carry out seamless workload and data portability in the cloud, including Azure Stack to Azure Stack and Azure region-to-region – with orchestrated disaster recovery, using VRP integration.
- Expanded workloads support –obtain total control of discovery, backup, restore and automation at scale for Microsoft SQL, Oracle and Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) for simplified management.
- Single appliance back-up and resilience – use CloudPoint technology for backup and recovery from native cloud snapshots, and Veritas Resiliency Platform for ensuring application resilience across multi-cloud environments, under one license. Pre-8.3, two separate licenses were required to use these technologies.
Other NetBackup 8.3 features to look out for:
- Universal shares – includes new form factor support and enhanced management, now available for both appliances and Build Your Own (BYO) media servers
- Instant access – for SQL databases and BYO
- Expanded workload capabilities – such as Microsoft SQL Self-Service
- MSDP direct cloud tiering– and manage data in multiple buckets, storage tiers and cloud providers from a single node
- Image sharing in the cloud – and support for Azure and S3 compatible object storage
- Object storage support for client-side deduplication – for writing directly to cloud storage
- Cloud snapshot– enabling granular recovery
Which solutions are right for your organisation? We can help.
If you’re an existing NetBackup customer interested in upgrading to 8.3 or an organisation that would like to find out more about how NetBackup can help you maintain data protection and enhance your cloud capabilities, among many other things, we can help.
Get In Touch
Contact Q Associates today if you have any questions or would like to discuss your IT requirements in more detail.
Tel: 01635 248181